100-year-old Driver Runs Into Fourteen Pedestrians - Makkabi Law Group
Available 24/7. We can help. (855) 887-8700
Hero Image

100-year-old Driver Runs Into Fourteen Pedestrians

On August 30, 2012, Preston Carter, a 100 year old man, backed his Cadillac into a crowd of fourteen pedestrians waiting to cross the street near a South Los Angeles elementary school.  The pedestrian accident involved three adults and eleven children.

Det. John Meneses of the Los Angeles Police Department’s Central Traffic Division said that a key focus for investigators will be Carter’s claim that his brakes may have failed, causing him to strike the pedestrians.

After the accident, which left victims strewn on the ground and backpacks and other items scattered on the sidewalk, Carter’s 78-year-old daughter said her father will stop driving. Ella Fleming said the family was grateful that no one was killed in the accident. She said her father would not be driving anymore and he was planning to give his car to the family.“I’m so sorry that it happened,” she told a Times reporter, “and I’m thanking God none of them died.”

Carter has a current driver’s license and no history of traffic violations, the California Department of Motor Vehicles said.

More Like This

Beloved Composer Guy Moon Dies at 63 After Traffic Collision — A Tragic Loss and a Reminder of Vehicle Accident Risks

The world of animation and music has lost one of its most cherished talents. Guy Moon, the Emmy-nominated composer behind countless iconic animated television scores, died at age 63 following a traffic collision in Los Angeles earlier this month. Moon’s family confirmed that he suffered traumatic injuries and passed away on January 8, 2026, after being struck while riding a scooter. Moon’s work […]

Read more

A Horrific Incident and Heartfelt Remembrance

On December 29, 2025, Joshua was a passenger in a Lexus SUV traveling along the Lagos–Ibadan Expressway in southwest Nigeria when the vehicle collided with a stationary truck, according to local police reports. Two men in the car — Sina Ghami, the boxer’s strength and conditioning coach, and Latif “Latz” Ayodele, his personal trainer — were killed at the scene. Joshua sustained minor injuries and […]

Read more

Alijah Arenas Makes Emotional USC Debut After Near-Fatal Cybertruck Crash

USC freshman Alijah Arenas finally stepped onto the basketball court on January 21, 2026, marking a remarkable return from a life-altering car accident last spring. The 18-year-old five-star recruit — and son of former NBA star Gilbert Arenas — made his long-awaited collegiate debut for the USC Trojans six months after suffering serious injuries in a crash involving a Tesla Cybertruck in the […]

Read more